Friday, 23 June 2017

60s Bowie

Adam writes…


I fear it's the one bad habit I'll never be able to break: buying too many music magazines.

It's a lifelong addiction stretching back to my teens when we had three weekly music papers in this country. I'll blog about the extent of my addiction another day.

This month's Uncut magazine has done nothing to stem my addiction, presenting as it does David Bowie on its cover.



In my own contrary way I have always loved 1960s Bowie. I think his pre-history, his musical archaeology, is absolutely fascinating.

Even hardcore Bowie fans accuse me of being a wilful obscurantist when I say this, citing Bowie's own often less-than-complimentary take on his 60s oeuvre. Many are all too keen to cite The Laughing Gnome as evidence that the whole pre-Space Oddity period was a bust.

But there's more to Davy Jones/David Bowie in the 60s than just The Laughing Gnome.

(And in favour of that much-maligned track, check out the arrangement – the totally pilled-up, speedfreak bass is a danceable joy. And THAT oboe! Please feel free to come and have a fight with me about the merits of The Laughing Gnome on any of my London Walks Rock'n'Roll London tours!)




The feature, written by Michael Bonner with contributions from those who knew and worked with Bowie, is an 11-page special and beautifully illustrated. We visit Beckenham for memories of a free festival, look at the Stylophone, get Rick Wakeman’s take on the vagaries of the Mellotron and find all the clues that point to Bowie's 70s greatness along the way. Well done Uncut!


Here's a playlist of my favourite 60s' Bowie tracks…








Watch the trailer for Wednesday's Rock'n'Roll London Pub walk, 7pm Tottenham Court Road tube (exit 1)…







And here's the trailer for THIS AFTERNOON'S Rock'n'Roll London Walk which meets at 2pm Tottenham Court Road station (exit 1).





No comments:

Post a Comment